Veteran health podcaster, blogger, international speaker, and bestselling author Jimmy Moore from “Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb” teams up with Toronto, Ontario Canada-based nephrologist Dr. Jason Fung from IntensiveDietaryManagement.com and Dr. Fung’s Clinical Director at his Intensive Dietary Management Program clinic Megan Ramos on this podcast dedicated to answering YOUR questions about intermittent, alternate day, and extended fasting. Jimmy and Dr. Fung are the coauthors of the 2016 international bestseller The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting and, along with Megan, are happy to provide this podcast as an additional resource for anyone curious about going on a fast to improve their health. We love hearing from our listeners with new questions–send an email to Jimmy at email@example.com. And if you’re not already subscribed to the podcast on iTunes, then you can do that and leave a review HERE. Listen in today as Jimmy and Megan are joined by Special Guest Patient Anne Brown to answer your questions about all things fasting in Episode 3.
BECOME A NUTRITIONAL THERAPY PRACTITIONER
Sign up by February 6, 2017 for the 9-month program
NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship
SPECIAL GUEST PATIENT: Anne Brown
Anne is a 63 year old woman in Dr. Fung & Megan’s IDM Clinic in June 2016. Anne was taking 156 units of insulin a day. She decided to go on an 11 day fast. She stopped her insulin within the first three days of fasting. Her original A1c was so high it was rated as >15%. Within 11 days of fasting her A1c dropped to 13.1%.
Anne continues to fast. Her fasts vary from 24 hours to three or four days at a time depending on her schedule. Her A1c is now at 9.9%. She has lost 10 kg and 10 cm around the largest part of her abdomen.
KEY QUOTE: “I was sleeping longer, not so much longer, but deeper and better quality sleep.” -Anne Brown
Here’s what Jimmy, Megan, and Anne talked about in Episode 3:
1. What can I do about watery stools? Why can’t I have sweeteners?
Hey Jimmy and Megan,
Just got The Complete Guide To Fasting and it’s GREAT. I have two questions I didn’t find an answer to and wanted to get more information about.
1) I have watery stools while fasting…any thoughts about why or how to prevent?
2) You recommend no sweeteners…why would you not be able to use even stevia?
Thanks again for such a good book and your help with my questions.
KEY QUOTE; “Patients that are struggling realize that what separates them from the patients that are successful is the sweeteners. As soon as they cut it out, they notice they have control over their hunger.”- Megan Ramos
2. Can I get the autophagic improvements through frequent 3-day fasts or should I do longer fasts for that?
A question that I haven’t seen covered well is the frequency of fasts. My job is far too physical to accommodate a 7-day fast. Can I water fast three days on and three days off for a month? And if I am hoping to clear a chronic infection by this method via autophagy, can the autophagic effect be cumulative with on and off fasting as I mentioned or must I have the continuous longer fast of ten days or more to get real results?
I really appreciate your insight and experience and your desire to enlighten us!
Best wishes to you,
3. Can I continue my workouts while fasting? Should I take my regular supplements while fasting?
Jimmy and Megan,
I am currently eating one regular meal and a small meal a day. I plan to drop that small meal soon and then graduate to 2 days, then 3 days, and then 4. But I still want to be able to workout. I currently do a moderate cardio workout in the morning and then after work I do strength training. I am 63 years old and own and ride a horse. So I need to keep the strength in my muscles for that as well as being able to perform my job.
I am pretty sure I am insulin resistant as most of my family has diabetes and my eating habits up until two years ago would almost guarantee this is more true than not. So I am now ready to take my journey to the next level and start healing the damage. One last question: Should I continue taking my supplements while fasting?
Thanks ever so much,
4. What’s the best way to break a fast and still remain in the fat-burning mode state of ketosis?
Hey Jimmy and Megan,
I’ve been on a ketogenic diet since August and have lost 40 pounds so far. I’ve done many intermittent fasts, a 2-day and 3-day fasts and am currently doing my first 7-day fast after reading The Complete Guide to Fasting. My question is I don’t know how to break this longer fast and still stay in ketosis? I don’t want to break the fast with fruit or juices obviously but I also recognize the need to ease back into food. Do you have any suggestions for me?
KEY QUOTE: “You’re in fat-burning mode because you’ve been fasting, why don’t you eat foods that keep the fat-burning going?”- Jimmy Moore
5. Can blood sugars go too low and blood ketones go too high while fasting?
Hi Jimmy and Megan,
I completed a 7-day fast and on day six my energy went down significantly with cotton mouth and some dizziness. I took my blood glucose and blood ketone levels and they came in at 3.2 mmol (58) and 5.9 mmol respectively. I was wondering if my blood sugar levels were too low? I also wondered if the ketones were a bit on the high side? What is the lowest you have seen blood sugars go while fasting?
Thanks very much for your support and expertise,
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 3
– SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner through the Nutritional Therapy Association at NutritionalTherapy.com
– JIMMY AND DR. ADAM NALLY’S NEW SUPPLEMENT LINE: Try the KetoEssentials Multivitamin and Berberine Plus ketogenic-enhancing supplements
– Start tracking your health markers for FREE at HeadsUpHealth.com
– Jimmy Moore from “Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb”
– Dr. Jason Fung from Intensive Dietary Management
– Megan Ramos from Intensive Dietary Management
– The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting
– Get the full audiobook read by Jimmy on Audible
– Fung Shweigh Facebook page