LISTEN AND DOWNLOAD AT ITUNES
Veteran health podcaster, blogger, international speaker, and bestselling author Jimmy Moore from “Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb” teams up with Toronto, Ontario Canada-based nephrologist Dr. Jason Fung from IntensiveDietaryManagement.com and Dr. Fung’s Clinical Director at his Intensive Dietary Management Program clinic Megan Ramos on this podcast dedicated to answering YOUR questions about intermittent, alternate day, and extended fasting. Jimmy and Dr. Fung are the coauthors of the 2016 international bestseller The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting and, along with Megan, are happy to provide this podcast as an additional resource for anyone curious about going on a fast to improve their health. We love hearing from our listeners with new questions–send an email to Jimmy at email@example.com. And if you’re not already subscribed to the podcast on iTunes, then you can do that and leave a review HERE. Listen in as Jimmy, Dr. Fung, and Megan kick off this brand new podcast by sharing more about themselves as well as answering a few questions for you today in Episode 1. And if you missed our special Episode 0 last Friday, you’ll get to hear more on why your cohosts are so passionate about fasting.
KEY QUOTE: “The first couple of weeks (of fasting), they’re just gonna suck. You have to get over that and let yourself get adapted to it before you can really make a decision on whether this is a good option for you or not. The more you do it, the easier it gets.” — Dr. Jason Fung
Here’s what Jimmy, Dr. Fung, and Megan talked about in Episode 1:
– Hear each of your new cohosts share their fasting stories and why they decided to start this podcast
1. How do you prevent ghrelin being stimulated which could ostensibly slow your metabolism during a fast?
I’m excited about your new podcast all about fasting. I have a question for you that I haven’t heard addressed anywhere. How do you avoid stimulating ghrelin that will slow your metabolism while fasting?
Thanks for your work,
KEY QUOTE: “You know what we need–a Facebook page called Fasting Females. Somebody set that up. I would love to see a bunch of women who have been successful at fasting share their stories. This meme that women can’t fast isn’t gonna change until people see evidence otherwise.” — Jimmy Moore
2. Is fasting contraindicated if you have had your gallbladder removed?
What about fasting when you have had your gallbladder removed? I’ve heard this stresses the liver the Whole30 book says fasting is not recommend for people without a gallbladder. I’m curious if that’s true or if there is a difference between intermittent and extended fasting. I’ve tried to find some research about this online but no good answers have come up. I asked my gallbladder doctor about this, he had no options for me either. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.
3. Why does the notion that fasting is not good for women continue to linger?
Hey Dr. Fung,
I’ve heard several prominent health experts like Mark Sisson and others online who say women should probably not fast. I don’t understand why this idea of fasting being detrimental to women is so commonplace because I’ve seen nothing but success using it. I’m 48 years old and a mom of three who has used a low-carb, high-fat, ketogenic diet with regular exercise and yoga to be healthy. But my weight and fasting blood glucose levels had been going up. That’s when fasting changed all of that for me enabling me to lower my weight, reduce my waist size, and lowering my blood sugar, insulin, and A1c levels. Why is there such negativity about fasting for women promoted so heavily especially in the Paleo community?
Thanks for your books and great work!
KEY QUOTE: “The first time I did a 7-day fast, I was mentally excited that I got to eat something. I wasn’t physically hungry. So I started cooking and I broke my fast with six olives. After eating the olives, I was stuffed! People think they’re gonna be ravenously hungry after extended fasting and they’re just not.” — Megan Ramos
Sign up by February 6, 2017 for the 9-month program
NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 1
– Start tracking your health markers for FREE at HeadsUpHealth.com
– SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner through the Nutritional Therapy Association at NutritionalTherapy.com
– JIMMY AND DR. ADAM NALLY’S NEW SUPPLEMENT LINE: Try the KetoEssentials Multivitamin and Berberine Plus ketogenic-enhancing supplements
– Jimmy Moore from “Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb”
– Dr. Jason Fung from Intensive Dietary Management
– Megan Ramos from Intensive Dietary Management
– The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting
– Get the full audiobook read by Jimmy on Audible
– Fung Shweigh Facebook page